William Street is reputed to be named after one of the King Williams and if so would be one of the few royal names retained in Limerick as a city street. However the dates of the reigns of these Kings do not support this theory as William III died in 1702, and William IV did […]
O’Connell Street was named after
Named after the founder of the Redemptorist Congregation, whose church and monastery is located nearby. St. Alphonsus Street was formerly called Clyde Road/Street, because an early leaseholder and occupier of a major portion of this street was the Clyde Shipping Company.
Broad Street. This name goes back to at least the middle of the 18th Century and the street was probably so named because it was a wide thoroughfare through the old city.
Harstonge Street, named after the Harstonge family who resided in this street. A member of the family, Sir Henry Harstonge was M.P. for County Limerick from 1776 to 1789.