The participation of the University of Limerick (UL) and the Limerick Institute of Technology (LIT) in the Smarter Travel Campus Programme has been recognised nationally at the 2015 Smarter Travel Awards.
UL’s ‘Wheels of Steel’ team has claimed the top prize in the National Student Cycle Challenge category of the awards scheme.
The aim of the annual Challenge is to clock up as many cycle trips as possible over a ten-day period. The competition is open to all campuses who are partners of the Smarter Travel Campus Programme, which is run locally by the National Transport Authority and Limerick Smarter Travel.
UL’s ‘Bikes, bikes, bikes’ team claimed second place having clocked up an astounding 294 trips during the 10-day period. UCD’s ‘Winners’ team finished third.
There was further success for Limerick entries, with Michael Higgins from LIT winning the Distance Cycling competition, clocking up an impressive 92km on Tuesday 20th of October. Vladmir Spina from the UL won the Cycle Story competition and Erica Della Garza, also from UL, won the Best New Cyclist prize.
Limerick Smarter Travel Coordinators, Sean Collins and Ross Higgins won the Best Campus Implementation Team Award in recognition of their promotional work and efforts to motivate UL students to get involved in the Challenge
“I hope successes of Limerick’s students in the Smarter Travel Awards will encourage other workplaces, commuters and residents in Limerick to also consider alternative methods of transport,” said Miriam Donoghue, Project Coordinator of Limerick Smarter Travel.
She added: “A growing number of Limerick organisations are engaging in the Smarter Travel Campus Programme, working with their staff and students to facilitate travel choice in favour of more sustainable transport, resulting in reduced costs, enhanced student and employee wellbeing, better access and more effective parking management.”
The Further Education and Training Centre, Kilmallock Rd Campus, Limerick, this month became the 23rd Irish business campus to sign up to Smarter Travel Campus Programme. Ten of Limerick’s largest workplaces and campuses are now participating in the programme including UL, LIT, Limerick College of Further Education and Mary Immaculate College. The combined workplaces and campuses in which Limerick Smarter Travel are engaging with over 32,000 staff and students to date.
The Further Education and Training Centre, Kilmallock Rd Campus is one of several further education and training campuses within the Limerick & Clare Education and Training Board (LCETB) and is now one of two campuses involved in Limerick Smarter Travel, the other being Limerick College of Further Education.
Student Cycle Challenge winners from Limerick:
- Runner up for Best Team Captain:–Colm Hann, LIT
- Runner up for Best Team Member: Michael Higgins, LIT
- Distance prize winner: Michael Higgins, LIT
- Distance runner up: Colm Hann, LIT
- Runner up for Best Team Captain: Tírnán Healey, UL
- Runner up for Best Team Captain: Evelína Koptišová, UL
- Story winners: Vladmir Spina, University of Limerick
- Story Competition Runner up: Josh O’Regan, UL
- New cyclist winner: Erica Della Garza, University of Limerick
- Early registration prize draw winners: The Americans team from UL
- Team photo competition: Czech Lions, University of Limerick
- Team photo competition prize: Wheels of Steel, University of Limerick
- Best Coordinators: UL – Ross Higgins & Sean Collins